Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Favoritism Never Hurt

For my Writer’s Choice, I decided to showcase my Tradition Blog. In my last blog, I felt like I covered the main three subjects in this class, without even trying, with so much ease. It was a fun topic to write about because I absolutely love food—Especially Japanese food (that is what I was raised on and still have every now and again). I was able to talk about Identity- “When someone first sees me, they don't see the Japanese qualities, because I am only 25 percent, but my family says I have the appetite of a full-blooded Japanese man.” 

Being Japanese makes up a part of my identity and eating the food just compliments the qualities. Also, I brushed upon community, speaking about the difference between American and Japanese meals and explaining how each community covers different traditions.  “Unlike typical American families, where their meals are centered on meats of different sorts, my family tends to focus on our rice and then have numerous dishes, scattered around the table. These dinners are not eaten everyday--they don't happen until about New Years.” Speaking of traditions, I covered my own families’ traditions and what it means to me and how I plan to keep it going for upcoming generations. “A long growing tradition in my family and throughout Japan is Osechiryori…..To me, this is one of my most cherished traditions, and will carry this on to my children.”

No comments:

Post a Comment